Vicks was first invented by pharmacist Lunsford Richardson from North Carolina in the 1890s. The name Vick’s Magic Croup Salve was given after his brother-in-law Dr. Joshua Vick, and the today’s name Vicks VapoRub was rebranded in 1912.
It’s been used for numerous purposes and there are millions of fans that use it to soothe cold and flu symptoms and allow them a sound night’s sleep.
It became very popular during the flu epidemic of 1918. Its healing effects are due to its ingredients, such as camphor – an essential oil extracted from trees and eucalyptus oil, which has antibacterial effects and is used as a decongestant.
Here are some ways to use VapoRub, which you may not know about.
1.Soothes sore muscles.
- When you went a bit too hard in your workout class or in the garden, you can apply some VapoRub to your muscles.
- It can be good to ease both soreness and inflammation and instantly helps you get you back to working shape.
2.Ease earache pain.
- Earache is one of the health issues that can be treated by Vicks VapoRub.
- Just place a cotton ball with some VapoRub on it in the cup of your ear.
- It will ease the pain very effectively but isn’t treating an ache.
3.Use it for fuller lips.
- For some of you who want to get fuller, softer lips, adding a bit of VapoRub will be of a great help.
- Its effectiveness for this purpose is due to its ingredients menthol, which is a natural lip plumper.
4.Covers up bad smells.
- Its overwhelming smell is one of VapoRub’s qualities, so if you’d like to not smell something more unpleasant, you can place a little under your nose and the problem is solved.
5.Cures toe fungus.
- Many studies have shown that thymol, which is found in VapoRub, is effective at treating toenail fungus.
- Use – Simply wash and dry your feet and apply some VapoRub to the affected area.
6.Soothes tennis elbow.
- When your elbow is tender, rub some VapoRub on it to soothe the pain in no time.
7.Softens your heels.
- In case of the need to soften cracked feet, people are spending a lot of money on unnecessary products and consultations.
- However, by rubbing VapoRub on your heels at night your heels will be as smooth as a baby.
8.DIY shower bombs.
- You can also use this way to get instant relief if you have a cold.
- A mixture of VapoRub with baking soda and water will make shower time even more soothing.
9.Gets rid of headaches.
- Massaging a few drops of VapoRub into your temples effectively relief the affected area of any pain, so for headaches is useful, too.
10.Help get rid of stretch marks.
- Many women count on it as a ‘magic eraser’ for stretch marks and loosened skin after giving birth.
- But not only for healing purposes, Vick’s VapoRub is a very helpful to the household, too.
11.Stop a squeaky door hinge.
- A squeaky door hinge can be a real annoyance, here is a way how to fix it.
- The VapoRub can help with this issue.
- You just need to rub a little on the door hinge and it should do the trick.
- This can be effective because it contains the substance petroleum jelly (or Vaseline) which is able to stop the squeaking.
- Instead of applying VapoRub to your nose, you can freshen the entire air with it.
- For those who have a humidifier, add some of it to circulate around the room.
- In addition to clearing congestion if freshens the room as well.